Since the start of the pandemic, there has been a surge in hate crimes against Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI). Last year, hate crimes against Asian Americans across 16 cities jumped by 150%, according to a report from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. These events range from the vandalization of Asian-owned businesses to aggressive attacks and verbal abuse. What's worse, as of February 2021, more than 2,800 incidents of discrimination against Asians have been reported.
At OUAI, we condemn racism in any form and are here to raise awareness and advocate for ALL members of our global community. To help support members of the AAPI community, we are donating $10,000 to Stop AAPI Hate, a coalition of nonprofits, organizers, and educators who are pushing for better protection, educational resources, and policies that can put an end to this.
Keep reading for a list of organizations you can support and resources that aim to uplift the AAPI community. We encourage you to stay informed and spread the word.
OUAIs to Help:
- Call your Congressman and ask what they are doing to ensure the safety of the Asian community
- Continue to raise awareness. If you see a racist act, intervene and report it
- Donate to end AAPI hate crimes and support their mental health (lists below)
- Follow these resources to stay informed and diversify your feed (list below)
Organizations to Support:
- Bustle's list of mental health resources for Asian American communities
We are committed to using our platform to raise awareness of this important issue and call on everyone to stand together to #StopAsianHate.