The living room is your new office, you've burned your jeans in the name of yoga pants, and summer is potentially canceled–it's officially quarantine season. That also means your hair is probably riding any number of struggle buses including the dirty AF bus, the split ends galore bus, or the stringy grays bus. If social distancing and WFH life are taking a toll on your tresses, take it from our founder and hair fairy Jen Atkin on how to deal. Ahead Jen shares her tips on quick Zoom hairstyles, cutting your boyfriend's hair at home and covering up pesky grays until you can see your colorist.
Quick hairstyles to make you look Zoom-ready
Fine hair: Deep side part
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Volume Spray
- Blow dry using the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer by flipping head upside down and rough drying until 80% dry
- Flip head back up and part hair on side of preference. A good rule of thumb for a flattering side part is to follow the arch of your brow all the way back
- Using a round brush, blow dry the rest of the hair under
- Finish with OUAI Finishing Crème to tame any flyaways and tuck one side behind the ear
Medium hair: Low bun/chignon
- Apply OUAI Hair Oil onto the roots of the hair (could be wet or dry hair)
- Using a brush (coarse bristle), brush hair back into a low bun
- Secure with a hair tie
- Apply OUAI Finishing Crème to the ponytail and wrap around, securing with a bobby pin
- Using a toothbrush or small boarse bristle brush, spray hairspray directly onto the brush and tame any flyaways
Thick hair: Messy side braid
- Apply OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray all throughout the hair
- Rake hair to side of preference (left or right shoulder)
- Leave some face-framing pieces out if preferred
- Create a braid, making sure not to make it too tight and secure with an elastic or small rubber band
- Using your fingertips, dishevel the braid a bit to your liking and you’re done!
Short hair: Messy half up bun with a scrunchie
- Prep hair with some OUAI Dry Texture Foam from mid-lengths to ends on dry hair for added texture
- Part your hair from your eyeline back, using a tail comb or your fingers
- Using a scrunchie, secure hair into a messy bun
- If you’d like more texture, spritz a little OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray to finish
How to cover up four day-unwashed hair
The OUAI Super Dry Shampoo will be your BFF during social distancing. Start spraying it about 6 inches away from your scalp on your part, then part it 2 inches away and spray, working your way around the oily areas. It will likely spray on kind of white, but that’s okay. Let it sit on there until you’re done with the rest of your hair. The white particles will work to absorb the oil.
Once you’re done spraying throughout, use your fingertips to rub it into your scalp and finish the absorption process. Part your hair where you’d like and if it’s straight, go over it with a flat iron for a clean finish. If you like it wavy, wrap 2-inch pieces around an iron for pretty wavy hair. Your hair will thank you in the end.How to remove grease and build-up
To remove buildup, you must clarify your hair. For straight to wavy hair, the OUAI Scalp & Body Scrub will help remove any and all buildup from your scalp by exfoliating the top layer of the scalp. Do this process once then follow with a shampoo and conditioner.
For curly hair, the Ouidad Water Works Clarifying Shampoo will remove all the residue from dirt, oil and hard/chlorinated water which affects the curl pattern.
A good rule of thumb to make sure your hair is clean is making sure it’s squeaky. If you use your fingertips to glide through the roots of the hair in the shower and it slides, it means there’s still oil build up so another shampoo might be required. When your hair is clean, it will squeak against your fingertips.
Cutting your own hair
Please do not cut your ends yourself! Just wait it out and continue to mask your hair at home. Give your hair the break and love it’s probably needed all this time!
Rita Hazan Root Concealer Touch Up Spray is the ultimate secret weapon for covering any grays or space areas around the scalp or hairline. It doesn’t leave behind any residue on your pillow at night either and is good enough to use once and last you until your next wash. There are different colors available based on your hair color.
When your boyfriend needs a haircut
Depending on what kind of haircut your boyfriend has, you can manage to do a little something to help until this quarantine is over! You can order cutting shears on Amazon and watch YouTube videos! There are some great resources out there to learn and I just made a YouTube video of how I cut my husband Mike’s hair, which is both hilarious and helpful.
How to feel cute on the weekend
A sleek style with a middle part:
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Leave In Conditioner
- Blow dry using the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer (medium speed and heat) and a flat coarse bristle brush
- Taking 2-inch sections, blow dry hair until smooth
- Finish with a little OUAI Rose Hair & Body Oil throughout—feel free to use on your collarbones and arms for the ultimate shine and rose scent
Shop the social distancing hair saviors below