A laid-back chick with supercharged, sun-kissed curls: that's Teren Mabry in a nutshell. A minimalist mood maven, the LA-based artist and photographer never fails to inspire summer-forever vibes, or give us cushion-y curl envy. Keep reading as Teren lets us in on her favorite drugstore curl products, the only time she brushes her hair, the best hairspray to keep curls in place, and more curly hair hacks.
How would you describe your natural hair texture?
Technically, I believe my hair is a 2c curl. My strands are fine, but my curls are defined throughout.
Did you ever have an “aha moment” or story about embracing your curls full speed ahead?
When I was in 6th grade I straightened my hair at a friend's house. It looked terrible, but it wasn’t frizzy anymore so I loved it. I started straightening my hair every single day. By grade 9, I was so exhausted of spending two hours doing my hair every time I washed it, that one day I just let it air dry. Then my mom told me it was beautiful, and if mom thinks it’s beautiful it must be, right? So that summer I just let it do its thang and I haven’t gone back to that horrid flat iron again.
What does your daily/signature hairstyle look like?
My daily hairstyle is loose curls down to my elbow(ish), parted on the left because my right side has a cowlick (ugh).
Break down your everyday curl routine for us.
In the shower, I use DevaCurl Low Poo Delight Shampoo, and condition with DevaCurl One Condition Delight. I tie my hair and let the conditioner do it’s thang for about three minutes, then I rinse with warm (yes I know I should use cold, but I’m a weenie). After the shower, I squeeze excess water out with a t shirt, then apply a large blob of DevaCurl Wave Maker from mid shaft to ends as I scrunch the curls up with my hands. I then let my hair dry always. I toss my hair from side to side so it creates more volume, and about three hours later it’s good to go!
What’s your favorite curl:
- Shampoo- DevaCurl Low Poo Delight Shampoo, it’s lightweight and moisturizing. It doesn’t strip the oils like many shampoos do. It’s also sulfate, paraben, and silicone free and they’re cruelty free!!
- Conditioner- DevaCurl One Condition Delight. It’s very lightweight and doesn’t weigh down my curls or make them feel over conditioner.
- Treatment mask- I use It’s a 10 Miracle Hair Mask and it’s incredible. It leaves my hair sooo soft without making my curls look greasy. Even as I rinse it out I can feel how soft my hair is going to be.
- Gel/oil- I love OGX Coconut Miracle Oil Penetrating Oil. It’s lightweight and helps define my curls perfectly. And it smells amaaaazing.
- Styling cream- DevaCurl Wave Maker is a curl miracle!!! I just started using it a few weeks ago and it changed my life. It brings my curls to life and defines them and makes all my frizz disappear! It’s not greasy or crunchy and I’m obsessed with it.
- Hairspray- TRESemmé Tres Two Ultra Fine Mist Hairspray in level 3. It keeps things in place without making it crunchy or stiff.
- Travel curl product/or one that's always in your purse- spray bottle of water. I use it to refresh my curls between wash days. It instantly brings them back to life!
Do you have any post-shower curl rituals you swear by?
Always air dry!! I personally can NOT use any kind of heat on my curls, wig or without the proper diffuser. My hair is so prone to frizz that the only way my curls stay frizz free is to air dry.
Who cuts and colors your curls?
I haven’t found the perfect stylist that cuts my curls the way I like yet. I’m still searching!
Who are your curly beauty icons? India Baston, @emblu, Kelsie Fields
What’s your secret to getting the perfect frizz-free air-dried curls?
A good curl cream (like Wave Maker), no touching it, and never using a towel to ring the water out!
What’s the best curl or hair advice you’ve ever received?
The best curl advice I have received was to never wash more than twice a week. My cousin told me that, and it changed my life.
Is there a pricey curl product that you think is worth every penny?
I think the entire DevaCurl collection is worth it. It changed my curls entirely. Also, the It’s a 10 Hair Mask is a MUST-buy.
Is there an overlooked drugstore curl product that you think every curly babe should own?
I think the OGX Penetrating Coconut Oil is a curl saver if you’re skipping product. It keeps the curls soft and defined while adding moisture.
Break down your going out hair routine when you’re keeping it curly.
I typically pull back my front pieces to each side and pin the back just to get the hair out of my eyes. But most of the time I just leave my hair down and wild, it’s fun and hides my big ears! Haha
Do you have any trusty brushes and/or combs?
I never brush my hair EVER, except while conditioning. I will comb through my knots in the shower because my hair gets matted underneath sometimes.
Follow Teren on Instagram: @terenmabry