So you're bored in the house, bored in a house, bored! To help you pass the time during quarantine, we asked four celebrity hairstylists to share step-by-step how to create the current most popular hairstyles. Because now's the perfect time to try to master a new 'do, try your hand at a French braid, soft effortless waves, half-up, half-down hairstyle, and more, with tips and product recs from pros who style the likes of Bella Hadid, Olivia Culpo, and Kylie Jenner.
The pro: Justine Marjan, @justinemarjan
This is the perfect time to perfect your braiding skills and finally learn how to french braid. There are endless options to customize the average french braid to your liking.
Difficulty level: 6
- Take a small piece of hair from the front hairline and split into 3.
- Cross one of the side pieces under the middle piece so it becomes the new middle piece, then repeat on the other side.
- The next time you cross a piece under the middle piece, add a piece of hair from outside the braid, then repeat until all (or your desired amount) of hair is added.
- To make the braid appear fuller, spray with Tresemmé Dry Texture Finishing Spray, then use your fingers to gently pull apart the sides of the braid.
- Finish with hair spray for hold.
Half-Up, Half-Down Hairstyle
The pro: Carly Walters @carlyxhair
Hands down, the half-up, half-down hairstyle! It's casual enough to keep hair out of your face, but allows you to show off your locks by keeping some down!
Difficulty level: It’s a level 3, you can totally do this! Play around and have fun with it!
- Spray roots with OUAI Super Dry Shampoo and brush the hair out
- Section your hair from ear to ear and secure with a hair band at the crown.
- Pop a scrunchie over the hair band to accessorize and add extra volume!
- Spray OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray throughout the pony tail for extra body.
- Feel free to pull out some face framing hair around the hairline and take it a step further by adding some flat iron waves for texture
Soft, Effortless Waves with a Curling Iron
The pro: Alex Brown, @alexbrownhair
Difficulty level: 7
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Wave Spray.
- Blowdry hair smooth with a boar bristle brush like a Mason Pearson or Ibiza Hair Round Brush.
- Take 1-2 inch sections and curl the hair in alternating directions with the GHD Curve 1.25” Soft Curl Iron. The sections closest to the face will always be curled back away from the face. When curling, clamp down on the hair closest to the root and continue to turn the iron while dragging toward the ends without opening the clamp at any time. This will create a twist in the hair.
- Once released, run your fingers through the twist and ta-da! The perfect loose beach wave.
- Once finished curling the whole head, apply OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray for grit and volume.
- Finish with OUAI Finishing Crème to polish the ends and tame flyaways.
The pro: Rikke Gajda, @rikkigash
I think it’s a great time to master how to do a braided ponytail! It’s the hottest trend of the summer and it’s a look that goes well with everything. There are two different ways to do this braided look, one is slightly easier than the other. This is also a great way to give your hair some extra love because the braid calls for a good amount of oil.
Difficulty level: The wrap-around pony is a very simple and beginner-friendly ponytail, I would say a 3 out of 10. The second hairstyle, which incorporates braiding hair, is a little more advanced--I would give it a 5/6 out of 10. Practice makes perfect. You can practice adding hair on somebody else’s braid before trying it on yourself.
- To get the wrap-around ponytail, first put your own hair in a regular ponytail, use a generous amount of the OUAI Rose Hair & Body Oil from roots to ends and start brushing your hair into a mid pony.
- After you’ve brushed most of it back, spray a little of the OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray to get a little more hold and to add some texture before you tie your ponytail.
- Here comes the part where you can choose! The easiest way is to get a clip on wrap around pony from Gash Hair, these are also the best option if you have shorter hair that you barely get into a ponytail. They easily attach and wrap around the ponytail you just made and instantly adds length and thickness.
- From here you just add more OUAI Rose Hair & Body Oil and a little of the OUAI Texturizing Spray throughout the lengths before you just braid a simple three strand braid all the way to the bottom. Voila, all done!
- The second option is a little more tricky. First, add length and thickness with synthetic braiding hair. I like to use Rastafri braiding hair and you can get these at any beauty supply. This is loose hair that can be added to the hair as you braid. Grab some of the braiding hair and apply some of the oil on it, separate out about 5 pieces and start adding each one by one into the hair as you’re braiding. It takes a few tries but once you get the hang of it, you’ll make endless Rapunzel braids!
Trying one of these hairstyles soon? Scroll down to shop the styling essentials